Monday, August 20, 2007

What a day

Sunday I did some geocaching, benchmarking & waymarking while out looking at the forest fires.
My Aunt, fishladyMT, and I started fairly early (9AM) and headed for Choteau to see if there were any smoke plumes or flames visible.
Our first stop was to waymark the Fairfield Post office, Then on to the Teton County Courthouse where we found a benchmark. I only had to look across the street for the second benchmark of the day. I waymarked the ranger station & Smokey the bear, a couple Montana Historical markers and a catholic church on the way to the Fool Creek fire area.
Duh!

Somewhere along the line we spotted a small group of Yak! very unusual for Montana. Although the camels in Fairfield are more rare- we have gotten used to them as they have been there for years.
YAK!

I forgot to put the Eureka lake cache in my GPS so we bypassed it for The Ear Sees a few miles closer to the fire. It was sad to see a cool whip container in the middle of this beautiful area. I hope the cache owner will replace it with a studier one soon.
We headed to Augusta to see if the Ahorn fire was doing more than smoking. As we traveled along the highway I waymarked a few more of Montana's historical markers. As we stopped at one I noticed that my GPS said a cache was only 62 feet away! I always wondered where Gilman was! The Gilman cache was an interesting find- I actually tripped over it!
This is a geocache!

In Augusta I marked the Post office & ranger station then we headed toward the fire area. Nothing but smoke. It was not a total loss- I met the dumbest Pronghorn ever and spent a bit of time photographing him. He just kept coming closer to the van!
Not sure but I think this is the bravest pronghorn ever

We found Tatonka and Calvin's keychains without a problem. Marked a truss bridge and were rained out of an estate sale.
As we headed home we only had the opportunity to mark a couple post offices as the rainstorm became very intense.
Miles driven: 215
Geocaches: 4
Benchmarks: 2
Waymarks: 12

Not a bad day at all

No comments: