Thursday, October 9, 2008

How to have fun geocaching with kids

Maybe it's the teacher in me but when I take the hoards out caching I like to have "jobs" for each so they can feel like they are an important part of our outings.

Geocaching jobs:
  1. the pointer - this is the top job because the person with the GPS tells us where to go & how far we should be from a cache. This person sits in the front passenger seat when driving to the cache they are assigned.
  2. the tourist - I carry 4 or more cameras so this person gets to take all the photos they choose to with which ever camera (I have toy film cameras as well as digital cameras.) I usually stay closest to this person while we hunt a cache.
  3. the scribbler - carries the pencil or pen and writes our info in the log.
  4. the lookout - watches for muggles and tries to be the distraction if needed (not needed very often)
  5. the guide - carries the printed sheet about the cache and reads/deciphers clues when needed (needed frequently when more than 3 people are caching)
Jobs change with each cache we hunt. If we are going after 5 caches everyone will have a chance to do each job. If there are more people I make up jobs to keep them busy.

No comments: